Fall 2020 General Information
Out of concern for the health and safety of our entire community, the Annenberg School is conducting the majority of its operations remotely for the Fall 2020 semester. This includes:
- Limiting access to its physical buildings in order to create a safer environment for those who need to be on premises,
- Holding all of the school’s graduate and undergraduate courses virtually,
- Asking all non-essential staff to work from home, and
- Hosting all school events in a virtual format.
For more information on the University of Pennsylvania’s overall plans, please visit its Fall 2020 Planning Page.
Protocols for Annenberg School Facilities
The following protocols apply to the Annenberg School at 3620 Walnut Street. Social distancing and other safety protocols also apply at the Annenberg facilities located at 3901 Walnut Street and Richards Hall, though individual building procedures may differ. Individuals who are not compliant with the identified protocols may be asked to leave the building.
- All Penn faculty, students, and staff must use the PennOpen Pass app in order to gain entry into any campus building. A green “CLEARED” Penn COVID Day Pass must be presented and displayed to building security upon each visit.
- Only Penn faculty, graduate students, staff, and approved contractors will be permitted access to the building.
- All visitors to 3620 Walnut St. will enter through the Walnut Street doors and exit through the 2nd floor Plaza Lobby. Entrance and exit signs will be clearly marked.
- Masks must be worn in the building at all times.
- Congregating in open spaces will not be permitted.
- Social interaction inside the building should be kept to a minimum and must always follow social distancing guidelines.
- Only one person at a time may occupy an office space or a printer/copier room.
- Office doors should be kept closed and individuals should knock before entering a closed office.
- Workstations and desk spaces should be disinfected before and after use.
- Only one person at a time may occupy an elevator.
- Only one person at a time should occupy a bathroom, even if the bathroom has multiple stalls.
- Where possible, individuals should use the bathroom closest to their geographic location, which will limit the number of individuals sharing these spaces.
- Suite 200 will only be accessible to those with offices in that area. Mail will be sorted every two weeks and delivered to mailboxes throughout the building. Please continue to have mail and packages delivered to your home. Email Rose Halligan with any questions about mail.
Annenberg School Library
The Annenberg School Library will be closed for the Fall 2020 semester, but Annenberg library staff are available remotely to assist with research, Canvas courseware support, streaming, and e-book requests. The communal reading/seating area in the library will not be available for public use.
All Penn Libraries materials will be picked up outside of Van Pelt-Dietrich Library and arranged through Pickup@Penn. For the latest on this and other library services, consult the main library homepage as well as the Phased Service Availability FAQ. Please email Sharon Black with any questions.
Requesting Building Access
- Staff who need access to the building should email BuildingAccessComm@asc.upenn.edu.
- Faculty who need access to their office space should email Kelly Fernández.
- Graduate students who need access to their office space should review the Graduate Student Information page.
- Faculty and graduate students who desire access to the building to resume research should follow these guidelines.
If You Are Sick
In accordance with current guidelines, if you are feeling unwell, seek medical guidance. Additionally, if you are unable to teach or work remotely due to illness, please email the following according to your role:
- Standing Faculty: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lecturer: ASCUndergradCourses@asc.upenn.edu
- Postdoctoral Fellow: Your faculty sponsor or the Dean’s office. If you are teaching this semester, please also email ASCUndergradCourses@asc.upenn.edu.
- Visiting Scholar: Your faculty sponsor. If you are teaching this semester, please also contact ASCGradCourses@asc.upenn.edu.
- Staff: Your supervisor and ASC-HR@asc.upenn.edu.
- Graduate Student: Your instructors and ASCGradCourses@asc.upenn.edu. If you are also a TF this semester, please also contact the faculty member to whom you are assigned.
- Undergraduate Student: Your instructor(s)
Penn-affiliated travel is currently suspended due to COVID-19, both domestic travel with an overnight stay and international travel. At this time, faculty and staff with essential travel needs, may submit a petition for travel approval. Please find more information on Penn's Travel Guidelines and Procedures page.
Official Resources Pages for COVID-19
The following organizations have set up official COVID-19 pages, in an effort to keep the public up-to-date: