Transfer Credit

How to Apply for Credit

Study Abroad: Students seeking communication credit for courses completed while abroad

Transfer/Credit Away:This category includes students who wish to receive Communication credit for courses taken at another college or university. Such students may be either transfers to the University of Pennsylvania or seeking to enroll at another university during the summer session. This category also includes students who study abroad for a semester.

The Annenberg School does not guarantee credit for courses not taken at the University of Pennsylvania. Credit for Communication courses taken at another college or university requires formal approval from the Annenberg School. Credit is granted only for courses that are judged to be academically comparable in scope and general focus to those typically offered at the Annenberg School. Students may count no more than three (3) communication credits from another college or university toward their major. Some courses offered as Communication courses elsewhere (e.g., advertising, marketing, literature) may be more appropriately considered for credit by another school or department at the University of Pennsylvania.

To officially request transfer credit, students must login to XCAT (External Course Approval Tool) and submit all course syllabi and other supporting materials from their previous institution.

Students planning to take one or more Communication courses abroad or away during the summer session should discuss their plans well in advance of enrollment with Alison Feather, Director of Student Services. Students fail to obtain approval before registering for a Communication course abroad are at risk of not receiving study abroad credits to fulfill major requirements. Evaluation of a current and complete syllabus of the course is required for final approval. Syllabi may be submitted ahead of enrollment if available, during the semester, or upon the student’s return. In none of these cases is credit guaranteed. All syllabi should include complete list of assigned readings, weekly reading assignments and topics of discussion, and all instructions for projects and assignments. All submitted course materials must be in English. Course materials that are not in English must be translated by students before submission. Approved course credit may count either toward a student’s intermediate major requirements or may count as elective credit that helps fulfill degree requirements. Students seeking advanced major credit must submit a final paper and syllabus for the course for review by the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Studies. Requests should be made in a timely fashion. During busy times of the year immediate responses to requests are not guaranteed.